In the vast and chaotic climate systems that govern our atmosphere and oceans, making sense of how one change — diminished sea ice — affects places or people thousands of miles away is a task of such extraordinary complexity that it strains even the most sophisticated supercomputers.
Welcome to What We Learned This Week, a digest of the most curiously important facts from the past few days. This week: chip cards are a pain in the butt, we're all burnt out and the physics of catcher's knees.
Khizr Khan, whose son, Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in Iraq, delivered a powerful speech at the DNC on Thursday night, culminating in a sharp, angry rebuke of Donald Trump.
Arcadia Power lets you access clean energy for your home or apartment in all 50 states. It only takes three minutes to set up and is completely free. For those interested in supporting renewable energy, this is a no-brainer.
Cesena, Italy's Rockin' 1000 has a simple concept: 1000 rock musicians playing the ever-living-heck out of rock classics. It's a very good concept.
Charged are Michigan Department of Health and Human Services workers Nancy Peeler, Corinne Miller and Robert Scott, and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality employees Liane Shekter-Smith; Adam Rosenthal and Patrick Cook, according to testimony this morning in Flint’s district court.
The scrutiny facing Rio epitomizes the changing perception of the Games in the 21st century, where the myth is long gone.
After last week's crazy, Trump-tastic Republican Convention, Democrats hoped that this week's Democratic National Convention would be tame in comparison. Luckily for media hungry spectators, it looks like that won't be the case.
Last night was a night of historic firsts as Hillary Clinton took to the stage to accept the Democratic nomination, but that didn't mean the grumpy Bernie bros were willing to take this sitting down. No, instead they scarfed down fistfuls of beans in order to gas up the DNC arena. Yes, really.
A trivial but iconic architectural element of Europe are the chimneypots that adorn the rooftops of houses and buildings. As these photos testify, it is impossible to look over the rooftops of the sprawling French capital without being accosted by chimneypots.
In the final speech of the Democratic Convention, Hillary Clinton attacked Donald Trump, outlined how she sees American values, and explained why she thinks she's qualified to be president.
The world was shocked when, following her murder in a mugging gone awry, her autopsy revealed that Stella Walsh had ambiguous genitalia. For the woman once regarded as the world's greatest female athlete, questions arose as to the legitimacy of her titles, and her integrity after a lifetime of living and competing as a woman.
Even modern, scientifically literate people, who certainly know better, somehow think that hair cuttings provide a link to the spirit of the person from whom the hair was taken.
Only Will Smith can find a way to involve a choir, a horse and a giant bubble into his "Tonight Show" entrance.
If anyone can understand how Aaron Hernandez went from NFL stardom to life in prison for murder, it’s his older brother, Jonathan, whose perspective cost him a way of living.
When the public gets its first glimpse Friday of the school built to replace the one where 20 first-graders and six educators were massacred, they'll see a building designed to be attractive, environmentally friendly, conducive to learning, and above all, safe.
Noise can cause us distress and pain, but it can also help us think, perceive, remember, and be more creative. It turns out that it’s even necessary for our physiological and mental functioning. If it’s a drug, then it’s a performance drug. And New York is full of addicts.
When photographer Mike Belleme set out to capture a portrait of America in 2016, he found a nation teetering on a precipice of change and riddled with insecurity. But unlike the hard lines of black-and-white campaigns, fear in the heart is a nuanced spectrum.
Powerful and ultra-fast charging capabilities packed into a charger that's as thick as 5 of your credit cards.
Little known to most tourists and even Germans, on the edge of Berlin lie the chilling abandoned remains of “Hitler’s Olympic village,” built for the so-called Nazi Games of 1936.
The presidential candidate is seeking to bring in 78 more servers, housekeepers, and cooks for his Mar-a-Lago resort and nearby golf course. The controversial guest worker program allows employers to import foreign workers, but only when there are no Americans who want the jobs.
As of this writing, the Upshot estimates a 68% probability for Clinton and 32% for Donald Trump. FiveThirtyEight estimates 52% and 48% for Clinton and Trump. What do those numbers mean, really?
From "Space Jam" to "Prometheus," rating the greatest movie and TV buckets.
Corpse flowers are big, beautiful smelly creations that only bloom once every decade or so. Over the next 24-36 hours, the flower will slowly open, emitting a foul odor that, as its namesake suggests, smells like rotting bodies.
Dronpes and Moots7 are both tall, stubbly white guys in their late 20s — the right age to have fond memories of the first generation Pokémon games. Six months ago they embarked on creating The Silph Road, a project that has become the "Pokémon Go" player’s bible.
Uber has tried to position itself as everyone’s favorite designated driver — like a superhero that fights drunk driving. But it looks like the ridesharing service and its competitors are not actually having much of an effect.
Even before Tesla reported the first known death of a driver using its autopilot feature, some employees worried the car company wasn't taking every possible precaution.
Gucci Mane is one of our era’s greatest artists, but he is also a real person.
Anisa Jomha was a so-called “boobie streamer” until last March. Her sizable Twitch following includes ardent fans, horny dudes, toxic trolls, and an unusual chat moderator: her mother.
It’s time to get past meaningless terms like “the will of the people.” With a less sentimental, more precise view of why democracy is so important, we can become better democratic citizens.
Like disco before it, emo music and its fans spend much of their time in the spotlight being mocked and ridiculed. But much of the impetus behind emo hate mirrors the stigma associated with mental illness — a distinct and serious problem among teenagers.
We all wear a mask — even record-breaking, chart-topping queens of the music business. But Mariah Carey wears it better than anyone.
From swimming and archery to cycling and wheelchair basketball, athletes explain in their own words what it's like to represent their country at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Let this flippy lid be a friendly reminder that sometimes, you just have to let life wash over you and go with the flow.
Neon signs look beautiful when they're all finished and lit up, but the process it takes to create them might actually be even more fun to look at.
Er, well, we feel like he’s almost certainly lip synching, but we also don’t really care.
Sometime between late 2012 and early 2013, Trump executives travelled to Cuba to go bird watching. Or did they?
It's common knowledge that you look a bit heavier (by roughly, uh, 10 pounds) on camera. As this quick, concise GIF shows, it all has to do with the camera lens used.
A couple of college kids were fishing off the coast of Louisiana when they felt a tug on the line. It turned out to be a bit more than they expected.